Plug-in Electric Vehicles (PEVs) are becoming an increasingly popular choice for drivers looking for sustainable and affordable transportation. Fuel costs for PEVs are typically 25% to 50% lower than vehicles using gasoline. Pasadena Water and Power (PWP) offers financial incentives for residential customers who purchase or lease a PEV.
Although fuel costs are reduced when switching from a gas-combustion engine car to an electric vehicle, customers’ electrical consumption and their electric bill most likely will increase as a result of using more electricity to charge their electric vehicle at home.
The good news is that most homes usually have lots of opportunities for saving energy, and Pasadena Water and Power (PWP) offers a wide variety of rebates, to help its customers reduce their consumption, and save money on their utility bills. For more information on current energy-saving rebates available, visit PWPweb.com/SaveMoney
Incentives are now available to residential electric customers who notify PWP about the purchase or lease of a new Plug-in Electric Vehicle. An additional incentive is available to customers who install a Level 2 (240V) charger at home or at multi-unit complex.
Pasadena businesses also qualify for the PEV Charger Incentive for employees’ vehicle charging.
LED Lighting Incentive
This incentive is for residential customers who notify PWP about the purchase or lease of a Plug-in Electric Vehicle and plan to charge their vehicle on an existing 120V or 240V outlet.
Replacing inefficient lighting is a fast and easy way to save energy at home. One of the most efficient lighting technologies available today is Light-Emitting Diode (LED) lights.
Residential customers who purchase or lease a Plug-in Electric Vehicle and notify PWP about their PEV by submitting the Plug-in Electric Vehicle Notification Form will receive up to $200* worth of LED lights for their home.
*LED lights Incentives are limited to a maximum of $200.00 per service address. LED lights received through this program must replace existing lights at the address where the vehicle is being charged.
PEV Charger and LED Lighting Incentive
This incentive is for customers who install a Level 2 (240V) “wall mounted” or “hardwired” charging station at home, multi-unit complex, or business.
Installing a charging station allows for fast-charging of a PEV and enables the car to change during off-peak hours, when electrical demand is lower.
PWP will provide a rebate of up to $400.00* to customers who purchase and install a qualifying PEV charger. In addition, residential customers are eligible for up to $200.00 in LED lighting incentives.
Pasadena businesses qualify for the PEV charging incentive if they install a PEV charger for employees’ vehicle charging.
To apply for this incentive, please complete the PEV Charger and LED Lighting Incentive Request Form and submit it to PWP.
*The $400 rebate will be issued as a credit on the residential customer’s PWP electric bill.
- Applicant must have an active PWP electric account.
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle must be registered at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in California.
- The program participant must be the legal original owner of PEV and permanently resides at the address shown in the PWP electric account. Additional documents may be required to establish residency requirement if the register owner/lessor is not listed in the electric account.
- All electrical work must be performed by a qualified and licensed contractor in accordance with local codes, permitting, and inspection requirements.
- PEV must be approved for highway application. (Electric scooters, electric bicycles, golf carts, neighborhood and low-speed vehicles are not eligible.)
- Level 2 (240V) EV Charger must be a new unit purchased after June 1, 2014. Resale units, leased, rented, rebuilt, received from warranty insurance claims, won as a prize do not qualify.
- Level 2 Charger must be equipped with the SAE J1772 standard connector plug and UL listed. (Certified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc.)
- Rebates for vehicles that require a factory installed, higher capacity charging system than Level 2 may be considered for participating in the program on a case-by-case basis and will be determined at the sole discretion of PWP.
- Level 2 Charger must be permanently hardwired to the electrical service.
- A 240V outlet (existing or new installation) is NOT eligible.
- The EV charger is to remain in service at the address specified on the EV Charging Incentive Request Form for a minimum of one (1) year or until PWP electrical service account is closed. Total or partial rebate received under this program must be returned to PWP if this provision is not met.
- If Level 2 Charger is installed in a multi-family complex, the applicant must provide written permission from the property manager/owner/homeowners association to install the charger.
- PWP may utilize data generated by the use of the EV Charger to improve PWP services, conduct studies, and any other purposed in furtherance of PWP’s operations.
- Program participants may be asked to participate in PWP’s demand response program during events or conditions where the electric load to the distribution system needs to be curtailed.
- Residential customers currently enrolled, or have participated in the past, in PWP’s Experimental Time-Of-Use (TOU) rate are not eligible for this program.
- EV Charger rebate will be based upon actual cost of the charger, minus any other charger incentives or rebates received from other parties or agencies. The rebate amount shall not exceed the costs of the equipment.
- Incentive is limited to one (1) rebate for the life of the vehicle.
- Incentive is limited to one (1) incentive for a residential service or two (2) for commercial service.
- Pasadena Water and Power, at its own discretion, may conduct on-site inspection to verify information provided in the PEV Charger and LED Lighting Incentive Request Form.
How to Apply
Please download, complete, and submit the PEV Charger and LED Lighting Incentive Request Form. Call PWP’s Answerline at 626-744-6970 if you have questions or need assistance completing the application.
Please submit the following documents:
- Completed and signed PEV Charger and LED Lighting Incentive Request Form
- Copy of CA DMV Registration or Sales/Lease Contract
- Copy of Building/Electrical Inspection Sign-off
- Proof of charger equipment purchase such as itemized receipt or sales invoice that includes purchase date, retailer name, business address, phone number, and itemized description of EV charger including manufacturer and product make and model numbers.
Email documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail completed application package to:
Pasadena Water and Power
Att: PEV Incentives Program
150 S. Los Robles Ave. Suite 200
Pasadena, CA 91101
Application and supporting documents must be submitted within 90 days from final completion of the charger installation (Inspection Sign-off Date).
Program funding is limited and program’s terms and conditions are subject to change at any time.