Why did the Police Impound my car?
1. No person shall park or leave standing within the city any vehicle for a period of 72 or more consecutive hours upon any highway, street, alley or city property. Having done so, any law enforcement officer is authorized to remove or cause the removal of any vehicle so parked or left standing in violation of this section.
2. Vehicles may be subject to impound for evidentiary purposes if it is believed the vehicle was used in the commission of a crime. Additionally, when a vehicle is recovered, after being stolen, and attempts to contact the registered owner were unsuccessful.
3. The driver was arrested and taken forthwith or the driver was determined to be incapacitated.
4. The vehicle obstructs, blocks, unattended or creates a hazard as described in CVC 22651.
5. When a vehicle is determined to have an expired registration of more than 6 months, or there is an excessive amount of unpaid parking citations, the vehicle is subject to impound.
6. All vehicles are subject to impound for 30 days if the driver of the vehicle is found to be driving the vehicle while unlicensed or his or her driving privileges were suspended or revoked. The registered or legal owner is entitled to a storage hearing to determine the validity of, or to consider any mitigating circumstances, attendant to the storage. The validity of a second party’s possession of the vehicle and their license status is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
How do I get my car out of impound?
1. If the vehicle is being held as evidence, contact the Pasadena Police Records Section to receive a vehicle release form:
Pasadena Police Department – Records Section
207 N. Garfield Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101
2. All registration fees must be current, with no outstanding parking citations. All other fee’s paid and/or restrictions must be corrected prior to the granting of a vehicle release.
3. For 30 day holds on vehicles due to improperly licensed drivers, the registered or legal owner must request a hearing from a Traffic Supervisor at (626) 744-4590 for consideration of any early release.
How Do I Report Damages or Dispute An Impound?
It is protocol that a vehicle inventory is performed and documented by police personnel prior to the removal of a vehicle by the responding tow agency. Should damages occur or property is discovered missing the impounding agency should be contacted and a claim may be submitted with the city Claims Department, 100 N. Garfield Ave, Pasadena, Ca. 91101, (626) 744-4124. To dispute an impound the respective agency should be notified:
Pasadena Police Department Records Section (626) 744-4565
Pasadena Parking Enforcement (626) 744-6470
Can I Retrieve Possessions from my impounded vehicle?
Yes. First it is necessary to notify the Pasadena Records Section (626) 744-4565 and seek approval from the investigating department (i.e. Detectives, Traffic). Under no circumstances will you be able to remove anything physically connected to the vehicle (i.e. bolted, screwed, snapped into place or otherwise attached).
What are impound fees going to cost?
Vehicle Release Fees:
- Basic Tow Fee $132.00
- Vehicle Storage - Per Day $32.00
- City Impound Release Fee (standard) $121.00
- Abandoned Vehicle Impound Release Fee $142.00
- 30-Day Impound Release Fee $142.00