All events are free.
Saturday, April 30
* 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. – It’s the grand opening of Reese’s Retreat at Brookside Park – a delightful playground for pint-sized pirates of all abilities: http://bit.ly/dWEODN
* 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Celebrate the anniversary of Arlington Garden, Pasadena’s only dedicated public garden: http://bit.ly/g8wyj3
Tuesday, May 3
2 to 4 p.m. – Get a blood pressure check and diabetes risk assessment and screening at Santa Catalina Branch Library, 999 E. Washington Blvd., presented by Huntington Hospital Community Outreach. (626) 744-7272.
Wednesday, May 4
* 1 p.m. – This week’s film in the Donald R. Wright Auditorium at Pasadena Central Library, 285 E. Walnut St., is “Pride and Prejudice” (2005, PG) starring Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen and Donald Sutherland in the adaption of the Jane Austen’s novel. http://bit.ly/mu3BYb
* 4 p.m. – Children will celebrate their moms by creating a special craft at Hastings Branch Library, 3325 E. Orange Grove Blvd. All materials will be provided. (626) 744-7262.
Thursday, May 5
* 3 p.m. – Children will celebrate their moms by create a special craft at Hill Avenue Branch Library, 55 S. Hill Ave. All materials will be provided. (626) 744-7264.
* 3:30 p.m. – Teens are invited to a Cinco de Mayo party at Allendale Branch Library, 1130 S. Marengo Ave., where they’ll snack on chips and salsa while watching “Nacho Libre” (2006, PG) starring Jack Black, Ana de la Reguera and Efren Ramirez.
* 4 p.m. – Boys and girls ages 4 to 18 will learn how to enjoy fitness during a special program at Hastings Branch Library. Call (626) 744-7262 to make a reservation.
Friday, May 6
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Teach yourself Microsoft PowerPoint using a self-paced, online tutorial at La Pintoresca Branch Library, 1355 N. Raymond Ave. (626) 744-7268.
Saturday, May 7
11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – It’s the Free Comic Book Day celebration at Pasadena Central Library for children and teens, with special video screenings, a design-your-own-superhero event, a visit by popular graphic-novel illustrator Kazu Kibuishi and much more! (There’s also something happening at each branch library.) http://bit.ly/iSiAm3
See more community events (and add your own) at www.cityofpasadena.net/calendar.
The Pasadena City Council will meet Monday, May 2, at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber (S249) at Pasadena City Hall, 100 N. Garfield Ave.
Agenda highlights include:
* Certified canvass of the April 19 runoff election for City Council District 4
* Farewell to City Councilman Steve Haderlein
* Administration of oaths of office to Mayor Bill Bogaard, City Councilwomen Jacque Robinson and Margaret McAustin, and City Councilmen Gene Masuda and Steve Madison
* Election of vice mayor
The full agenda, complete with downloadable reports, is available at www.cityofpasadena.net/councilagendas/council_agenda.asp.
The meeting will be televised live on KPAS (channel 3 on the Charter Communications system and channel 99 on AT&T U-Verse) and via streaming video at www.cityofpasadena.net/publicaffairs (click on the KPAS icon).
COMMISSIONS, COMMITTEES AND BOARDS
The Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority will meet Monday, May 2, at 9 a.m. in the Airport Skyroom at Bob Hope Airport, 2627 Hollywood Way in Burbank. Agenda items include application to City of Burbank for extension of development agreement; and airline schedule analysis.
The May 2 meeting of the City Council Public Safety Committee has been canceled.
The Human Services Commission and the Recreation and Parks Commission will have a joint meeting Tuesday, May 3, at 6 p.m. at Robinson Park Center, 1081 N. Fair Oaks Ave. Agenda items include overview of purposes and functions of the commissions; potential areas of coordination; and report on citywide sports field use.
The Human Relations Commission will meet Tuesday, May 3, at 6:30 p.m. at Jackie Robinson Center, 1020 N. Fair Oaks Ave. Agenda items include update on San Gabriel Valley Pride Festival; update on GLBT Teen Center; and update on commission forum series.
The Recreation and Parks Commission will meet Tuesday, May 3, at 7 p.m. in the Conference Room at Robinson Park Center. Agenda items include quarterly reports from the Parks and Natural Resources Division of the Public Works Department and the Human Services and Recreation Department.
The Pasadena Community Access Corporation Board of Directors will meet Tuesday, May 3, at 7:30 p.m. in Suite 105 at 2061 N. Los Robles Ave. Agenda items include financial review and 2011/2012 operating budget.
The Zoning Hearing Officer will conduct public hearings Wednesday, May 4, at 6 p.m. in the Hearing Room at the Permit Center, 175 N. Garfield Ave. Agenda items include recommended approval with conditions of a minor conditional use permit (CUP) to allow minor modification of an existing wireless telecommunication facility on the rooftop of an office building at 675 S. Arroyo Pkwy.; recommended approval with conditions of a minor variance to allow a building addition to an existing residence with a non-conforming four-foot side yard setback at 1910 El Sereno Ave.; and recommended approval with conditions of a CUP to allow the establishment of an adult daycare facility on a property in the CL zoning district at 2031 E. Villa St. (the maximum number of clients would be 60).
The May 4 meeting of the City Council Economic Development and Technology Committee has been canceled.
The Code Enforcement Commission will meet Thursday, May 5, at 4 p.m. in the Hearing Room at the Permit Center. Agenda items include update on lack of permits for work at 244 E. Montana St. and 277-79 Penn St.
The General Plan Update Advisory Committee will meet Thursday, May 5, at 6:30 p.m. in the Fair Oaks Community Room at Renaissance Plaza (upstairs, next to Vons), 649 N. Fair Oaks Ave. Agenda items include review of June community survey content and special newsletter.
See more about commissions, including downloadable agendas, at www.cityofpasadena.net/commissions.
Public Information Officer
City of Pasadena
Public Affairs Office
100 N. Garfield Ave., Room S228
Pasadena CA 91109
Cell: (626) 375-2742
Facebook: Pasadena PIO