• planningdevelopment_content

Planning and Community Development Department

  • Code Compliance Complaint Form

    Complaint Information Tracking was established to maintain a record of all complaints filed with the Planning & Community Development Department. Some complaints received are for other City departments. Rather than transfer the caller, we receive the complaint and forward it to the proper City Department for investigation and resolution.

    The type of complaints tracked through the Complaint Information Tracking program include residential and commercial property maintenance, health and safety, fire hazards, zoning violations, and other related issues.

    Once a complaint is received , it is logged into our Land Management System and assigned to the appropriate city department. The complaint is then investigated by departmental staff.  If the investigation reveals a violation of the city code, the property owner is notified of the violation and granted a reasonable time for its correction.  Property owners may be required to compensate the City for staff's time enforcing the correction of a code violation, under the City's Cost Recovery Program. In addition, property owners who fail to correct cited violations are subject to prosecution by the City Prosecutor.

    Complaint Information Tracking has proven to be an invaluable tool in ensuring that all citizen complaints are investigated and resolved in a timely manner.  To obtain an update on the status of an existing complaint, please call (626) 744-7282.

     Please visit the Citizen Service Center to submit a code compliance issue online. 

    Go to the online Citizen Service Center to Make a Complaint >>

    For further information about the property location and/or specific code, please call the Code Compliance office at 626-744-4633 or FAX 626-744-4249.

  • Complaints Routinely Handled by Code Compliance

    • Accumulations of trash, junk and debris on residential and commercial properties.
    • Clotheslines hanging in front yards.
    • Hazardous trees on private property.
    • Illegal and un-maintained fences.
    • Illegal and un-maintained signs.
    • Illegal building additions (after the fact).
    • Illegal business operating in single family homes, condos or apartment buildings.
    • Illegal conversions of garages and other structures into dwelling spaces.
    • Illegal parked recreational vehicles.
    • Noncompliance with conditions of Conditional Use Permits, Variances, and projects approved with Mitigation Measures.
    • Overcrowded buildings. Symptoms related to such buildings.
    • Outdoors storage of inoperative vehicles.
    • Odors and fumes-sewer and appliance gas odors
    • Parking of commercial vehicles on residentially owned lots.
    • Termites, if there is weather proofing and/or potential structural problems.
    • Un-maintained buildings. Buildings with structural, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and other code violations.
    • Un-maintained and unsecured abandoned buildings and vacant lots.
    • Unscreened trash cans stored in front yard.
    • Vehicles parked on the front or side yard.
    • Yard sales without permits


    Complaints handled by other Departments

    • Abandoned Vehicles on the city street (Police)
    • Cleanliness of Restaurants (Health Deptment)
    • Dogs - Vicious or Barking (Pasadena Humane Society)
    • Garbage collection (Public Works)
    • Hazardous material storage (Fire)
    • Mobile Food Trucks operating outside of permitted hours or zones (Health Deptment)
    • Noisy neighbors (Police and Health Deptment)
    • Problems with public alleys (Public Works)
    • Push Cart Vendors (Health Deptment)
    • Rats and Mice, Roaches, Fleas, and Flies - indoors/outdoors (Health Deptment)
    • Swimming pools (stagnant water) and mosquitoes (Health Deptment)
    • Trash and junk dumped on the public street (Public Works)
    • Un-maintained construction site with active Building Permit on file (Building)
    • Un-maintained street lights, public streets and sidewalks (Public Works)
    • Unsafe power lines (Water and Power).
Water Usage Gauge